If you like my blog and don't want to miss anything, please, subscribe via email and whenever my new posts are published, they will be delivered directly to your inbox.










8.12.09

"Essere al verde" "to be broke"




Literal translation

... ...

English equivalent idiom
Essere al verdeTo be at the greenTo be broke


Meaning: To have no money; not to have enough money.




Examples:







1)



My best friend Marco has lost his job, and he is flat broke. He can barely afford to buy food and can’t pay his bills and mortgage. I must help him!








2)



My cousin is getting married next month, but I am broke! I have no money to buy a decent gift for her, so I am not going to go to her wedding.








3)



Mario complains about being broke. He has no money, and he wonders why. Of course he is broke! He wastes money! He always buys superfluous things (quite expensive too!) and has dinner at restaurant almost every evening. He should learn to use his money wisely.




Nessun commento: